IGLP Events Calendar
- This event has passed.
Crunching the Core
October 26, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
For this season of Crunching the Core, we will attempt to bring some familiar (and some new) texts to bear on contemporary issues.
Our second session will take place on Wednesday 26th October at 10:00-11:30 EST. In this session, we will discuss the topic of rights and sex, with a focus on abortion, and using the critical move(s) of “critiques of rights”. Broadly speaking, we want to explore how critical thinking and methodologies might help us to make sense of rights saturated discussions of abortion, as well as to identify who or what is occluded by the focus on rights.
Leading us will be Ratna Kapur and Duncan Kennedy. They will be setting up our discussion of the following texts:
- National Abortion Rights Action League, “Abortion Access”
- Naomi Cahn and June Carbone, Red Families v. Blue Families: Legal Polarization and the Creation of Culture (2011), at pp. 92, 93
- Catharine A MacKinnon, Feminism Unmodified: Discourses on Life and Law (1987), at pp. 99, 100, 101
- Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, They the People: Problems of Alter-globalization (2009), at pp. 33, 34
- Samera Esmeir, “On Making Dehumanization Possible”, 121(5) PMLA 1544 (2006), at p. 1544
- Dorothy E. Roberts, Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty (1997), at pp. 24-25